* * * FREE SHIPPING WITHIN USA * * *
NATURAL DYE | Color Shift Kit | OSAGE DYE (plant, wildcrafted in the USA)
Osage Dye = Bright, Bold Golden Yellows shifting to Dark, Olive Green Browns
Welcome to the Amazing World of Natural Dye!
You're in the right place!
The NATURAL DYE :: COLOR SHIFT KIT is the perfect place to start exploring the gorgeous color of Natural Dye.
It's a place where Science, Math and Art intersect. And it's truly a space of limitless exploration and experimentation.
This kit includes an Instruction Booklet that will walk you through the process of using Natural Dyes & Mordants (otherwise known as Fixatives/Fixers) safely, efficiently and with care.
It will give you the opportunity to dye not just one color, but to shift one color into multiple hues with a simple Post-Mordant Bath.
1 Dye = 2 Colors!
*** Wanna know more about it? Check out this quick video on Youtube: http://bit.ly/2IjBPt9
The Natural Dye Color Shift Kit will take you through the processes of preparing and using:
~ Mordant to permanently fix the dye so it's wash-fast and light-fast,
~ Natural Dye (Osage) to dye color into your fiber,
~ & Post-Mordant to shift the color derived from dyeing into other hues.
This kit is perfect for anyone wishing to learn about the basics of Natural Dyeing. It's especially perfect for the fiber-enthusiast--think knitters, crocheters, sewers, weavers, and more. Anyone working with yarn/thread/fabric/textiles has wondered what it'd be like to dye their own items to get that perfect shade or hue. The kit is equally fun for artists + crafters, designers + decor-lovers, science-math-geeks, teens, (older) kids + homeschoolers (with adult supervision) & home-chefs who've wondered about the process of cooking up color.
And, this kit contains everything needed to get started. It's got plenty of samples of different fiber types, both yarn and fabric, to explore the varying results. And, when finished experimenting with the included samples, there will be plenty of mordants and dye left for you to play with dyeing your own item(s) (the dye will continue, but will gradually fade into lighter tones).
* 1 pack of Natural Dye - Osage* *wildcrafted, USA
* 1 pack of Pre-Mordant - Alum
* 1 pack of Post-Mordant - Iron
* Set of 3 Different Fabric Samples
* Set of 4 Different Fiber Samples
* Instructions Booklet
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
* An Apron or Old Clothes / Gloves
* A Pot (preferably stainless steel or aluminum--not to be used with food afterward)
* A Stirring Tool / Tongs / Spoon (preferably wooden, stainless steel, aluminum or plastic--not to be used with food afterward)
* A Mixing Cup (paper/plastic work fine--not to be used with food afterward)
* A pH-Neutral Soap (Dawn, Washing Soda, Sodium Carbonate, Soda Ash, Sal Soda, Synthropol all work perfectly)
* A Place to Hang Samples and Dyed Items to Dry
* OPTIONAL: Fabric/Fiber to Experiment With -- There'll be plenty of leftover Mordant to soak your item(s) in and dye in the dye pot.
SOURCE | Osage is a natural dye from the heartwood of the Osage Tree, a native North American plant grown in the Southern States of the United States of America. This dye was wildcrafted in the USA.
COLOR | It dyes in a range of bright to lighter golden yellow, rich shades.
USE | Osage can be used at .75:1 ratio to 1:1 weight for the richest color. This means that 40 grams will dye approximately 40 grams (dry weight) of fiber/fabric. It will continue to dye in lighter shades till the dye has been used up. Use less for a lighter hue of gold or yellow.
HISTORY | Osage has been used in North America for many years, and yet its history is less researched than many traditional natural dyes worldwide. Osage is a strong tree, its wood being used for countless centuries to craft the best bows. It later served as a critical wood in forging the basic necessities of early settler life.
NATURAL DYE FAQ
* What can be dyed?
Natural Dyes only adhere long-term to Natural Fibers. Natural Fibers include, but are not limited to: silk, linen, cotton, flax, hemp, ramie, rayon, bamboo, wool, mohair, alpaca, cashmere, etc.
* Do I need anything else?
To ensure long-lasting color results, Mordants are a must with each of these Natural Dyes.
* Will my color be exactly as pictured?
Your color results will be determined by how you approach the Natural Dye process (e.g. as in, what minerals are present in the water you use, what temperatures you heat to, which mordant you use, what type of metal pot you choose to mordant and dye in, what fiber type you're dying, etc.). Results vary widely.
* Check out ANINI Designs more more fun Natural Dye Kits available!
New weaving + natural dye blog posts, inspo + tutorials available at -- https://www.aninidesigns.com/blog
Subscribe today for updates on sales, new products + new posts! -- https://www.aninidesigns.com/subscribe
* COLOR NOTE: ANINI Designs is not responsible for the color you reach through this varied and multi-faceted process. Your color results will be determined by how you approach the Natural Dye process (e.g. as in, what minerals are present in the water you use, what temperatures you heat to, which mordant you use, what type of metal pot you choose to mordant and dye in, what fiber type you're dyeing, etc.).
* HEALTH NOTE: Natural Dyes and Mordants may cause irritation to skin. Each person has their own sensitivities. Please use with care and take necessary precautions (e.g. use gloves and face mask) while handling, pouring, transferring, cooking, etc.
* PREP WARNING: Mordant and Natural Dye Pots must only be used with dye processes. Do not use a kitchen-cooking pot that you plan on using again with food.
* ECO-FRIENDLY PACKAGING: Individual & multiple quantities of smaller items are shipped in a 100% recycled poly mailer, made entirely from waste, that includes a dual adhesive strip so you can re-use it before it's recycled once again. Larger quantities may be shipped in a box.
* INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: Buyer is wholly responsible for import/export rules to their country. ANINI Designs is not responsible for knowing all international shipping law. This means, your country may not allow metallic salts and may be seized by customs. There will be no refunds if this should take place.
* PROCESSING TIME: This item is ready to ship upon order. Item will be posted within 3-5 standard business days (not including holidays). If you have specific time constraints, please do reach out before purchase. Thank you!
* GIFT ORDERS: Please add a NOTE upon purchase if you'd like a hand-written note included in your package.
* NO RETURN/REFUNDS: Because of the nature of Natural Dyes and Mordants, ANINI Designs does not accept exchanges or returns on any/all Natural Dyes, Mordants and Natural Dye Kits.
* VISIBILITY: Colors may vary slightly due to computer settings.